- And that’s a wrap 2023! Christmas with IR Department
- This is what the ASX and investors expect for gender diversity on your board
- 5 key lessons any company can take away from our foundational ESG report
- What small caps can take away from Amazon’s move to write emissions data into its supplier standards
- How Australian small caps are likely to be impacted by the new ISSB sustainability disclosure standards
Tara Karnezis is the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of IR Department’s client, Gertrude Biomedical. Tara oversees Gertrude’s development of small molecule medicines that target cancer growth and spread.
We were grateful to her for giving us some time as part of our International Women's Day interview series, to discuss her perspective on this year’s theme, “Embracing Equity”.
When asked about effective ways companies can promote equity and diversity as part of the culture, Tara noted the importance of starting with the basics, i.e. the recruitment process for building an effective team. She stressed the importance of looking at what each “person” can bring to your team, regardless of their gender, race or background.
Tara also offers some sound advice for management:
Lead by example
If managers behave in a way that is inclusive and embraces diversity – the team will see this behaviour and adopt the same mannerisms, creating a productive and positive environment where different cultures and experiences are celebrated.
Women in leadership
Tara observed that women are effective in high level leadership positions, as they offer a different way of thinking. But more importantly, she notes that “as brilliant as women are, it shouldn’t be about the fact that you are a woman, it should be the fact that you are the best person for the job.”
To hear Tara’s insights, CLICK HERE or on video below.